As caregivers in this crisis, your jobs are unequaled in importance and your time is precious. We get it.
We’re posting this blog because we want to help your organization, employees and families be secure during these unprecedented times.
COVID-19 Fraud and Threats
There has been a sharp increase in unscrupulous and sinister attempts to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic by sowing fear and deception.
Healthcare IT News reported: “The World Health Organization has reportedly seen attempted cyberattacks double since the onset of the COVID-19 crisis, and a vaccine testing facility has also been targeted with ransomware.”
Here’s a heads up on things we’re seeing:
- 100% plus surge in phishing attacks with coronavirus content
- Significant increase in infected attachments and toxic links referring to treatments
- Thousands of new web sites and domain names created for misinformation and delivering malware, ransomware and stealing credentials of remote workers
- Fake websites showing pandemic-spread graphics and statistics
- Targeted ransomware attacks to disrupt services
- Escalation of extortion tactics threatening release of protected information
- Social engineering attacks to seek out inexperienced or unsecure remote workers
- Phone scams, fake voicemails, fake text messages using COVID-19 lures
Some resources to address and report these threats:
- U.S Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) “Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks” https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/tips/ST04-014
- World Health Organization “Beware of criminals pretending to be WHO” https://www.who.int/about/communications/cyber-security
- World Health Organization “Report a suspected scam” https://www.who.int/about/report_scam/en/
- U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) “Seven Coronavirus scams targeting your business” https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2020/03/seven-coronavirus-scams-targeting-your-business
- FTC Complaint Assistant, with a special link to report a scam or other consumer problem related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1
- U.S DHS Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) Coronavirus website https://www.cisa.gov/coronavirus
- U.S CISA website to report an incident, phishing or malware https://www.us-cert.gov/report
Business Paradigm Change: Work from Home
Comprehensive work-from-home requirements driven by the quarantine restrictions are totally new to many organizations. There is help for those who have never done this before or need reinforcement.
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector (HPHS) “Management Checklist for Teleworking Surge During COVID-19 Response” https://healthsectorcouncil.org/covid-checklist/
- Chilmark Research “COVID-19: Free Health IT Resources” https://www.chilmarkresearch.com/covid-19-free-health-it-resources/
- New York Technology SWAT Teams to Support New York COVID-19 Response – open to any company or technologist regardless of industry https://www.ny.gov/programs/new-york-state-covid-19-technology-swat-team
- New Jersey Cybersecurity & Communications Integration Cell (NJCCIC) “Tips for Teleworkers, Remote Access Security” https://www.cyber.nj.gov/this-is-security/tips-for-teleworkers-remote-access-security
- Pennsylvania Office of Administration “Technology Commonwealth Resources” https://www.oa.pa.gov/telework/Pages/Telework-Technology-Resources.aspx
- City of Boston “Internet Connectivity And Technology Supports During Covid-19 Response” https://www.boston.gov/news/internet-connectivity-and-technology-supports-during-covid-19-response
- Connecticut State Department of Children and Families (DCF) “COVID-19 information and Resources” https://portal.ct.gov/DCF/COVID-19/COVID-19
- SANS Security Awareness Work-from-Home Deployment Kit https://www.sans.org/security-awareness-training/sans-security-awareness-work-home-deployment-kit
- SANS “Creating a Cyber Secure Home” – Click for video
- Forbes “Free Software That Businesses, Schools And Others Can Use During The COVID-19 Crisis” https://www.forbes.com/sites/martingiles/2020/03/19/free-software-for-businesses-and-schools-covid19
- ZDNet “Free tools and services for businesses during the COVID-19 crisis” https://www.zdnet.com/article/free-tools-and-services-for-businesses-during-the-covid-19-crisis/
This pandemic is a health crisis of immense proportion – period. In this time of great need and stress, our message today is simple: We are here for you. Echoing the sentiment shown in the tweet at the top from @nurse_allie210, we are grateful for all of you.
We are here to support you with an ear, a shoulder, some friendly advice or a tool.
- If you need to talk – call us, we will compassionately listen.
- If you need a shoulder or a hand – lean on us.
Let us know what you need and how we can help make your job easier and lighten the burdens you carry. THANK YOU, from the bottom of our hearts, for your herculean efforts to care for us, our families, friends and neighbors, and the world at large.
Stay healthy and safe.
Photo credit: Twitter.com user: allie211